Thursday, September 15, 2011

room tour: basement family room!

ok everyone, finally i'm ready to show off another room!  i apologize for the low quality of photos....was too lazy to grab my flash, so a bit grainy.... but you get the idea!

our basement.  last summer we did the work, but our budget didn't allow us to actually furnish it until this summer.  we have a fairly small space, b/c we added a bathroom, a guest room, and gave my daughter a large bedroom.  the remaining space is basically just a "tv room" so we don't really need tons more space anyways!

my approach to the room was keep it light and bright....yeah, yeah, pretty much like the rest of my house!  some people may feel it best to warm it up with richer colors, since it's a 'basement' but i couldn't disagree more!  a light wall color expands this small room perfectly.


although we furnished it, we didn't have much in the 'budget' dept, so we wanted to get as much bang for our buck as possible!  meaning, i wanted a whole lotta couch for not a whole lotta money.  if i got a couch/sectional that i loved from a 'nice' store it'd have been super tiny for the price i wanted to pay.  so instead, i got this giant couch and chaise at good ol ikea!  i originally thought i'd hate anything ikea had to offer, but turns out this one was really ideal for us!

not my dream couch, but it's the basement, so whatever!


ya feel pretty classy assembling your own couch :(


i blew up two fave photos from our recent family session.....i say don't bog down a focal wall with a bunch of teeny tiny frames.....go big or go home and make a statement!


i wanted everything neutral, so i can switch out the accent colors.
right now, i'm loving turquoise and coral! beachy, right?




the beginnings of a picture wall.  i personally love them in hallways or walls that you don't stare at all the time.  just passing by - kinda walls - since they can be a bit busy otherwise.
i'm just going to add to this as time passes and then move to the other side.




i really love adding texture....especially since the basic furniture isn't anything super special!  spend $40 on a blanket at homesense, instead of $5 at ikea, and you get a richer look for not too much investment!

plus, they FEEL better!



added this print, which i love.  this poor photo doesn't give much justice to it, but i really love the moodiness to it!


once again, b/c the room was relatively small and boring, we added a few touches to add interest.  

love the doors and glass knobs.  a little extra $ but worth every penny.  "rise above the boring builder doors!"  now, i've got to do my main floor/upstairs!


added an inexpensive automan - from bouclair home - with extra storage...


added an electric fireplace to give off a little heat - b/c our basement's fairly cool




a great way to add some visual interest to a room that has nothing visually interesting going on.....is creating the look of panelling.  we added baseboards, a chair rail and cut mdf into strips, filled in all the nail holes, dapped, and gave the boards AND wall all a coat of white paint.  looks solid, even though it's a bit of an illusion!


there you have it!  very simple, but super practical for our lil family.  my winter project will be transforming this guest bedroom into my own dedicated space - my office!  can't wait!!!
so here's a peek at what's happening in this room at the moment.....
but not for long!!


so stay tuned for this transformation!




50 comments:

  1. WOW, I just love all of it...you did an amazing job. Love the idea of keeping it neutral so that you can change it up easily! = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it turned out perfect! I am new to your blog and love your taste, you make me want to paint everything light grey and white! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such amazing style! Love love love it all!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is beautiful and very soothing! Great job. Gotta say, I wouldn't mind popping over to sit in front of that fireplace with a blanket. ...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really pretty, great job. I love the turquoise and coral, I used the same colors in my daughter's room and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. completely adore everything about this room. wow.

    especially the couch.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first visit to your blog and I love the basement re-do! My BFF and blog co-author adores all things neutral, so I will defintely be sharing your blog with her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the light color and clean lines thatyou used. I completely agree that basements ought to be kept a little light to avoid the "cave" feeling. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is soo gorgeous. I love the prints of you above the couch. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks wonderful! So relaxing and I love the colour scheme. Very tranquil but still fresh. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! What a great space cozy and crisp all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is delightful. been looking for a sectional myself. hello ikea, i will calling thanks to you. wonderful complete look. well done, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is gorgeous!! I love the pops of color you used throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything looks so cute!! I totally want to cozy up on the couch and watch some tv in your basement!! The pictures look fab too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely place you have. So comfy and cozy. Thanks for dropping by and sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in love with your basement! I love how calm it is with various pops of color. I'm loving the colors you chose!

    I'm especially in love with the abstract print you have - it's right up my alley! I've been searching for something similar for a while now. Where did you get it?

    Thanks for showing us such a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great - I was just at IKEA this weekend and fell in love with that KIVIK sofa. So comfy and chic. The room doesn't feel or look like a basement at all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Natalie...we met briefly once and we have mutual friends...I was told by a few friends of the amazing stuff you have done to your house and that you have it on your blog...LOVE LOVE all you have done and all your great ideas - creative and different...and congrats on the Nate Berkus show...I don't know how you do it all with your photography, blog, kids, family life, etc - YOU ROCK;) Congrats Again Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Turned out awesome Natalie! Can't wait to see your office :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh.my.goodness. Your house is absolutely spot on my style! I'm so glad I found your blog!love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your home is beautiful. I love every detail.

    xoxo

    Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great! I featured it today, feel free to stop by and grab a button if you'd like.

    http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2011/09/delightfully-inspiring-thursday-party_21.html

    DaNita

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the colors. Where did you get your couch?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really can't get over how amazing this space is!!! Still have a hard time believing it's a basement - totally bright and, well... unbasementy (here I go creating new words again)! I totally want to get crack-a-lackin on mine now. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Catching up on blog reading today, so you'll see a few comments from me on other posts too. Your basement looks absolutely great! Love how you incorporated the soft beachy tones and the pop of coral and turquoise. Truth be told, when I saw the first photo, I thought it was a Sarah Richardson design. BTW, I think your IKEA sofa looks great. If you hadn't said it was from there, I would have thought it was tres expensivo!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This space is gorgeous. Ran across it on Pinterest. I wanted to do pops of coral, but I couldn't find any coral accessories and I just gave up. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this room, it looks amazing!! So many great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  28. so perfect and cozy! over from A to Z. where did you get the cute pillows?!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi again, Natalie. So excited to see you on Nate this week! I'm sure you're over the moon. Also wanted to let you know that I featured your basement remodel on my blog last week:
    http://www.imbusyprocrastinating.com/2011/09/get-me-motivated-monday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow! i love every last bit of your space - can't believe this is a basement, it looks so light and airy. :) love ALL the colors!!

    well done!! I've added it to my 'interior inspiration' pinterest board!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your basement! I saw it on www.homestoriesatoz.com and had to get a better look. My husband and I have flipped our home and plan to finish out the basement this winter I can't wait to show him, this is what we have been talking about. I really like the fire place can you tell us more about it? Thanks for posting!:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is really beautiful! I would love to know the color of paint you used above your board-and-batten, please!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wall color is Benjamin moore's silver satin

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello, I love how everything looks! How durable have you found your IKEA sofa to be? We use our couch a lot and are disappointed in how quickly it has worn down - would you recommend an IKEA couch or something sturdier? Of course that budget plays a part... :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Pillows and artwork above fireplace are from homesense. Stems are capiz shell stems. I got mine from bouclaire but you can also find them at pier 1 imports. Couch isn't the comfiest of couches! I won't lie. It could be a little softer for my liking. But at the price tag I can't complain! It's great for a basement. I'd completely recommend checking out Ike's for people on a budget!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Natalie! I just found your blog through Nate's show! I totally love your beach house style. I seriously love this family room and want to cut and paste it into our house! I love the color scheme especially... sets such a happy mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, I love absolutely EVERYTHING about your basement! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, I LOVE this! We just bought a house with a similar basement. Trying to pick out a carpet and I love yours! Do you remember what the carpet color/brand is? I'd love to know! Sarahannseitz(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  39. We are also renovating our basement space... your's has inspired me (I love it)! I also would like to know which carpet color & brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops... lisa_barnes4@yahoo.ca I am the last person carpet asking person :)

      Delete
  40. I'm likewise interested in knowing what carpet you used! jtbellkey@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sorry friends, I can't remember the name or brand of the carpet???!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love the room. Any chance you know the name of the painting? I love it. Could you email me at ssmit811@gmail.com if you know who painted it or the name of the painting? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow, how beautiful! You've sure done a wonderful job there, just gorgeous! I have this linked to my basement room reveals post too today, for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This Couch is really great! Of course its not the finest couch ever but for 500 bucks I cannot complain at all. It came in about 5 days and was easy to assemble. 3 separate boxes so fits in any elevator or staircase. Had a minor tare on the ottoman on very bottom but its really no big deal.

    Pillows are on stiff side but I like things firm in terms of sitting and laying down so this is ok for me. If taken care of should last 3-5 years no problem. What you see in the photo is really what you get and its even a little bigger than I thought (I didn't take the time to actual use the measurements to get a visual) so was pleasantly surprised.

    If you need a couch on a budget but still want something more spacious than a love seat this is for you. Also the ikea couch that is a similar model is about 100 more not to mention needing to get it to your apartment yourself so I prefer this option.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi! I just wanted to ask if that's a Kivik sofa from Ikea? It looks like it, and if so I've been seriously contemplating it for my own basement. Like you said, it's functional and looks nice without being my dream sofa. I was curious about the durability and whether you've liked it over the time you've had it. It looks even better in your photos than in the store showroom so now i"m really tempted!

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Can you tell me the name of your wall paint? So pretty and subtle with the white.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Name of the wall color pls??

    ReplyDelete

i luv comments! make sure your profile has an email address if you want me to answer any questions! and, please keep things postive! any concerns may be brought to my attention through email! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...